Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Nebula "Atomic Ritual"



Ahh, the beginning of June. The smell of non-board-of-health approved halal kebab cooking on Brooklyn street corners mingling with the stench of my sweaty armpits. Summer will soon be here. Fuck. I hate summer. As I was walking my first dog of the day, I looked in a storefront and my reflection gawked awkwardly back at me. It was only like 80 degrees and I was already dripping with sweat. I thought about summer romance, and how a summer romance would be quite a delight. Then I thought about how it was past the time of year where I'm in the right frame for finding romance of any sort. Where would I take a summer first date? I certainly don't want to have to apologize for dripping perspiration into m'ladys tequila sunrise. And I certainly can't afford to go to one of those classy joints with air conditioning. How I envy those with under-active sweat glands. I often think about how lucky dogs are to pant instead of sweat. Yeah, I guess it would look pretty ridiculous if we were all walking around with our tongues stuck out all the time, gasping for air, but it would be a lot less disgusting.

Yeah, summer kind of sucks, unless you're one of those douche bags with some shitty crust band's patch on your overpriced messenger bag who thinks that Bloomington, IN is a cool place, but hey, you still gotta listen to music in the summer. Today's offering is my favorite album by California's stoner-rock sweethearts, Nebula. Formed from the ashes of Fu Manchu (who didn't actually break up, but I figured I'd just keep that in there anyway), Nebula is a little more rocking and a little less about muscle cars and monster movies. "Atomic Ritual" is probably a much easier listen than a lot of the stuff I post. It's sort of psychedelic, sort of pop, and is the type of thing I would blast out of my top-down LeBaron while cruisin' for chicks. If I had a convertible, or went cruisin' for chicks. It's summer music for people who hate the summer. Best tracks: "So It Goes" (their tribute to Vonnegut), "Electric Synapse", and the titular track. (huh huh, he said tit.)

download part 1
download part 2

No comments: