Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I Hate Myself- "Ten Songs" & Everything Else


Back when I was young and really punk, I used to go to emo shows sometimes with my punk friends and drink beer in the parking lot and make fun of all the emo kids, because they weren't different just like us. It was pretty stupid. After a long and depressing period where I worked the graveyard shift at Kinko's on Long Island (I was living in midtown Manhattan at the time. It makes no sense, I know), I started dating an emo girl. Even before that though, I loved this record. It is hotly debated whether this band was serious or a joke, but regardless: they had the whole loud/soft/screamy/singy thing down to a science, and out of all the other bands of their ilk, they were the only one to sing about drinking 40's and huffing gas. "10 songs" (they didn't actually title their records; the other ones are called "3 songs", "4 songs", etc.) is their quintessential album. The second download is everything else they ever recorded (besides this one Spoke cover off some comp that isn't all that great anyway), which is just as amazing, but 10 songs is the cr00sh jam. I would ultimately describe this as emo for people who don't like emo.

Myspace
(This is a fan myspace page. I think it's fucking hilarious that whoever made it took the address www.myspace.com/noidearecords and No Idea records had to go with just /noidea. I'm just sayin'...)

Download "10 Songs"
Down everything else

2 comments:

King Lew said...

Thankyou very much for this. As a teenager growing up in England i was immersed in Britpop music. Gradually, i began dipping my toe into the realms of Post punk, Post rock, Shoegaze, Math rock, IDM, 60's experimental, 70's prog etc etc. The Emo genre has completely bypassed me. I think i was scared of it because it's developed such a bad vibe. I plead ignorant to it all. I'm now realising that if you wade through a lot of the Emo crap out there you can some discover some interesting and innovative bands. I have a lot of catching up to do! So far i'm most enjoying 'Indian Summer' and 'Small brown bike'. And now it looks like i hate myself will be the next lot for me to immerse myself in. Any other good reccommendations? I need to shake off my negative preconceptions :) Many thanks again!

prosthetic eyes said...

Check out the post I did today, theres some great stuff there.