Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Beehive & The Barracudas- "Plastic Soul with the White Apes"



Last night was the first show I've played since the last Ghostwood show on New Year's Eve. It was a mess, but people still danced (which is how it always goes. Drunk people at punk shows will dance to anything, no matter how bad or good it is. I hate it. How are you supposed to know if you're any good or not for real?). I fucked up a bunch of stupid little stuff on the first song, my favorite one, and then I fucked the same stuff up when we played it again as the last song. We only had four, plus a really bad cover of "Sex Bomb" that I later learned was unrecognizable to a good chunk of the audience. I'm the only one in the band that can legally drink, and also the only one that's been playing their instrument for more than a few years (or in the case of half the band, for more time than we've been a band, which is about 3 months). It's sloppy and simple, but there is something to be said about the energy of a band that can't really play but still tries like hell.

That energy is alot harder to capture when you know what you're doing, but it can be done. On "'Plastic Soul' with the White Apes", Beehive & The Barracudas manage to pull it off. I really don't know anything about this band, and can't find much out anywhere. Apparently from a (seemingly) fictional town called Blight, Michigan, one of the few things I know is that this features Gar Wood of Hot Snakes, leading me to believe they're from San Diego. It's got a great, raw garage sound with a hint of soul, and in my opinion, captures the energy mentioned above. And it's great to listen to when you're getting a little stoned, too.

download

No comments: